Sunday, September 23, 2012

No Longer on the Sidelines


Sally, thank you so much for taking the lead along with the other moderators of the chorus blog, to give voice to our choir in this frightening time for our beloved, ASO and ASOC. Notwithstanding how each of us may feel about the current negotiations (or lack thereof), it is clear how much time and effort you and the others have put into keeping us all informed and to encourage our participation, and I sincerely appreciate it. To my knowledge, the ASOC has never had an official representative or advocate in board issues and/or contract disputes such as the one we are currently facing, and I have always marveled at the absence of one given our supposedly renowned position in the ASO family. So, I thank you for being a voice for us now in our time of need.  

In particular, I would like to thank you for acknowledging, on behalf of the ASOC, how disrespectfully we were treated at our first rehearsal of the season in which Mr. Romanstein demanded that we keep quiet as the future of this great orchestra is decided.  I am eager to hear his reply to your letter.

While I am hopeful that a reasonable agreement will be reached by Tuesday, I am also dreading the possibility that our October performances will erupt into flames, including the incredible honor of performing in Carnegie Hall. Even worse, I am fearful that our cherished ASO and ASOC may not have a season at all this year, and possibly for years to come. 

This difficult situation is so much bigger than all of us, but at the same time it is also about our personal stories which form why we cherish this orchestra and chorus so fervently. I have had the joy of singing with this incredible organization since 2003. Growing up on Long Island, I studied many Robert Shaw choral recordings in my high school choir as the prime example of quality choral singing. In fact, it was a dream of mine since I was a teenager to move to Atlanta and sing with this world class organization. That dream came true just three weeks after I moved to Atlanta and auditioned. Over the last nine years, I have not been disappointed. Our symphony and choir is second to none. But not only that, we are a family. And we do not exist in this family without the symphony players. I know each of us has a similar story of what the ASO and the ASOC means to them.

I have stood by the sidelines over the past month to let the situation play out between the various board managements and the symphony players. There are undeniable economic concerns in moving forward that both sides must address to be sure. However, the integrity and respect for our musicians, both in the ASO and ASOC, must be maintained above all else.  Unfortunately, this has not been the case, both privately and publicly.

Because of the gravity of the current circumstances, I am supporting all ASO and ASOC musicians in ensuring that we DO have a season this year and beyond. We have all worked too hard - sung too many notes, counted too many beats, sacrificed too many hours away from our paying jobs, families and children, and cried too many tears, to sit idly by and allow this magnificent organization to implode before our eyes. 

Sincerely,
Andrea D. Seeney

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing, and although you're very welcome ... I didn't get this blog rolling by myself. Our chorus friends are awesome, sending letters, ideas, and observations. As we keep plugging away at getting the word out, another awesome chorus person emerges -- you! -- and blows us away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, thank you for sharing your perspective and your own unique experience of the ASOC and ASO. The concept of implosion is all too apt. What is happening here and across the U.S. as other orchestras and performing arts organizations fight this same battle is the rapid erosion of a cultural infrastructure that has taken more than a century to build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, let me add my thanks for your insightful comments. I, too, have felt like an observer, not because I didn't have anything to say, but because you and so many of our ASOC colleagues have already said so much and so eloquently. Thank you for making sure our voices are heard.

    ReplyDelete