Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Plea from an Insider


This was given to me through a trusted intermediary ... it's from an employee who prefers not to be identified, for reasons which are self-explanatory.  I feel like I have just received a reason to back to the front lines.

Please, please do not let any of this deter anyone from patronizing the Woodruff Arts Center. A boycott will only hurt lower level employees like myself.

While my upper management has essentially forbidden any of us from discussing this with, well, anyone, I am here to say that most WAC employees side with the musicians and labor. The ASO is the only division that has the luxury of a union. The rest of us wish we did. In fact, we were subjected to an all WAC meeting in which we were commanded to chant, now all together, “Negotiations are ongoing” over and over. I am shocked at how hamfisted our management has handled this situation. And trust me, the issues with ASO are not the only labor vs. MGMT issues at hand.

Woodruff Arts Center has become a bloated beast that is no longer serving its umbrella services. And make no mistake, WAC’s only reason for existence is to serve the ASO, the High Museum of Art, and the Alliance Theatre.

But once again, I implore readers, do not boycott the WAC. Many other people, from box office workers to theatrical technicians need your support. We don’t have a union to represent us. We have been forbidden from having a union. We tried it once. Everyone who supported it got fired.

Support the arts, crucify the poseurs who take advantage of the artists, artisans and craftsmen.


2 comments:

  1. I am devastated for all of the non-executive level employees of the WAC and ASO. This mirrors the insulting way that SR treated the ASOC. Shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Beverly ... where is a good investigative reporter? Would looking into WAC's business practices be more traumatic than what the musicians' have had to undergo for the past month?

    ReplyDelete