Monday, September 24, 2012

The Toned-Down Version of a Previous Rant


To:  Virginia Hepner, President & CEO, Woodruff Arts Center
        Larry Gellerstedt, III, Chair, Woodruff Arts Center Executive Board
        Jim Abrahamson, Chair, ASO Board of Directors
        Stanley E. Romanstein, President, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Subject:  What Are You Doing This Fine Fall Morning?

Date:  Saturday, 9/22/12

Here I sit, at home on my screen porch, enjoying a cup of tea after returning from a brisk walk on this beautiful, crisp fall morning. But something's wrong. I shouldn't be sitting here--I should be in my car on the way to an extra ASOC Saturday rehearsal.  Instead, that rehearsal has been cancelled, while the regular Monday night rehearsal is still scheduled to occur. I find this disturbing and somewhat confusing. With all the challenging repertoire we have to learn, and such a short time remaining in which to learn it, why cancel today's rehearsal but still keep Monday night's on the schedule? Given Dr. Romanstein’s recent announcement that this coming Tuesday is the deadline for a resolution to the contract negotiations, I have a growing sense of foreboding.  Is the purpose for Monday night's gathering to tell the ASOC in person that our October concerts are off? I implore you to say it isn’t so. 

We choristers feel so frustrated and powerless over the situation, but each of you has it in your power to bring about a resolution to the current stalemate.  All this talk of “lines drawn in the sand” is so counter-productive when the fate of our beloved orchestra hangs in the balance. With time growing short, the time for positive action is now.  There are questions that you, as a key decision-maker in this organization that we like to call a family, should look in the mirror and ask yourself:  Do I want to be the person who forced a deal full of draconian cuts on the musician-artists, the very life-blood of our product, thus starting a cascade of events leading to the diminishment of the high quality level to which we have become accustomed over the last several years? Is that really how I want to be remembered?  Is that really the legacy I want to leave when my time of office is done?  Or do I want to be the person who truly does value the ASO as the shining cultural jewel it has grown to be at present?  Who goes out into the community with a renewed sense of urgency to raise the necessary funds for its continued success?  Who works to his/her utmost to ensure that the administration is lean and mean, works harder AND smarter, and doesn’t squander the fiduciary trust that is my daily duty? 

If it was me looking in that mirror on this beautiful fall morning, I know which person I’d want to be.

Most sincerely,

Beverly Hueter
ASOC Alto I
#358

1 comment:

  1. Robert Shaw's legacy is hard for anyone to live up to. Nevertheless, for someone who says they were taught choral performance by Robert Shaw -- as Stanley Romanstein has said -- is he serious about helping WAC take down a world-class orchestra?

    ReplyDelete