Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Chorister's Letter to Board Members


The following is an email I sent today to members of my church who are ASO Board members.  

Subject:  A Fellow Trinitarian Hopes You Can Help

As a fellow member of Trinity Presbyterian Church, I am writing to appeal for your help.  For many years I have sung in the Chancel Choir and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus, but have never felt so dismayed and discouraged as I do today.  Of course, I am referring to the current impasse in the contract negotiations with the musicians of the ASO.  The Chorus held another rehearsal last night in preparation for our opening concert series and subsequent Carnegie Hall performance in October, but there were questions in the back of everyone’s mind: “Will all this hard work pay off, and will audiences ever get to hear these beautiful and exciting works?”  We choristers are all volunteers, as you know, but we are more than willing to give of our time and God-given talents, (including several extra Saturday rehearsals), in order to make the music happen at the very highest level of artistic quality.  It’s what we live for.

As things stand today, I feel powerless. I don’t know what my few words can possibly do to bring about a resolution to the stalemate between the ASO’s administration and its players, and  to ensure that another season of rewarding and uplifting symphonic music will take place in Atlanta.  However, I’m hoping that you do have some power over the situation in your position as a member of the ASO Board.  I’m hoping that you will prayerfully consider what your words might do to get the negotiations moving again.  Every day that goes by without a resolution does more damage to the reputation of our fine orchestra, and will make it that much harder to heal and restore good working relations when and if a contract is finally worked out. I’m continuing to hope that a solution can be reached, but it can only happen if the parties return to the table.

Although I don’t know you personally, we are connected as members of the family that is Trinity Presbyterian Church, and as members of the ASO family.  Families have their differences, difficulties, and growing pains.  But families are worth the very best efforts we can give in order to work out those differences and continue to function as sustaining, live-giving forces. I feel that way about Trinity, and I feel that way about the ASO.  I’m hoping you do too.

Sincerely, 
Beverly Hueter

2 comments:

  1. Beverly, thanks much for taking time to pull your thoughts together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post, Beverly and I couldn't agree more: families are worth our best efforts. Nobody in their right mind wants to be 'that board member' who took down a world-class orchestra.

    ReplyDelete